Skip to main content

Getting Rolling with Cloud Foundry PAAS

Getting familiar with a PAAS environment for even an experience Java developer can be pretty daunting.  First you need to select a PAAS and then you need to navigate through all of the documentation and try to figure out how to get rolling.  The next couple of posts will detail the steps I took to get rolling with Pivotal's http://pivotal.io Cloud Foundry (Community Edition) http://www.cloudfoundry.org/index.html PAAS.  You are familiar with what a PAAS actually is, you may want to spend a little bit of time reading up on PAAS before proceeding.

Part 1: Connecting To Your Cloud Foundry Instance

The first thing I did was install the Spring Tool Suite (STS) v3.6.3-SR1 https://spring.io/tools/sts/all on my MAC running Yosemite OS X 10.10.  Make sure you download and install the right version for your development system.

Note: Also a system requirement for STS 3.6.x was to have at least JDK7 running on your system.  I am currently running Java 8 update 40 on my MAC.  If you do not have at least Java 7 installed, install an appropriate version before proceeding. http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/javase/downloads/index.html

After installing the STS I ran into the known problem where the GateKeeper prevents you from running the non App Store downloaded application.  You need to go into System Preferences --> Security & Privacy and change to "Allow apps from anywhere".

The next step was to install the Cloud Foundry Plugin for Eclipse.  I figured the easy way to do this wast from the marketplace.  You navigate to Help -> Eclipse Marketplace from within STS.  You then enter Cloud Foundry into the search field and click search.  In the results panel find the "Cloud Foundry Integration for Eclipse" plugin.  At the current time the version for the plugin was 1.8.  Click the Install button, review the components of the plugin, accept licensing terms, and then wait for the plugin to install.  After the plugin install you will be required to restart STS.

Configure Connection

From within the "Server" View of STS, right mouse click and select New --> Server. From the dialog select Cloud Foundry.  Provide a name in the "Server Name" field and then click "Next".


On the next screen you will be asked for your Cloud Foundry account information.  If you do not have an account you will need to register for an account first at https://console.run.pivotal.io/register .
On the next dialog you will enter your account (email address) and password 


Once you enter your account and password, click the "Validate Account" to make sure everything is specified appropriately,  If it isn't, you will receive a corresponding validation error.  If it passes without error, you can then click "Next".  Your corresponding organization and spaces will be displayed to you.  Select the space you want to target (note: you may only have one space available) and can click "Finish" to wrap up the new server setup.  You may be prompted and informed that a new master password has been setup and asked if you want to provide more information in case you need to recover the master password.  I would suggest you indicate yes and then proceed to set up your security question / answer pairs.

Now at this point you should have successful configured a connection from STS to your cloud foundry instance.  The server should now appear in your server view within STS.  You are now ready to begin exploring the deployment of applications both locally to your Cloud Foundry instance.  I will cover deployment of a sample application in my next post.




Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Where to start on AngularJS for Java Developer

Background: If you are a Java developer who is comfortable using Eclipse (JEE Developer version) you may be asking yourself where to start with AngularJS. There is all kinds of documentation out there in regards to AngularJS and https://angularjs.org/ provides, to the point, tutorials on how to get started. You can certainly go that route and use node.js embedded server and possibly a Javascript focused IDE like WebStorm. However I wanted to try and stay in a comfort zone, my comfort zone, of Eclipse and be in a position to deploy an Angular application to a container like Tomcat. This blog entry will present the trail I took to try and accomplish it. Note: This is an adventure into Angular 1.x, not 2.x.  I would imagine this could all work with 2.x as well as it is focused on the dev environment setup. Start: Well the one consistent thing you will find to get started is to install the AngularJS Plugin, provided by Angelo ZERR.  You can use the Eclipse 4.5 (Mar...

MAC SVN to GIT

Atlasssian provides a wonderful tutorial on how to use their migration scripts to move your subversion code repos to their BitBucket Git Repository  https://www.atlassian.com/git/tutorials/migrating-overview  . However their are a few things that all developers inevitable run into that are not explicitly documented.  I figured I would document the few things I ran into during my migration process and maybe save a few other developers a few moments. Tip 1: Re-mounting sparseimage I was undertaking my migration from MAC OS X (Yosemite).  Since the MAC OS is a case insensitive OS, I had to follow the instructions provided in the Atlasssian Migration guide to "Mount a case-sensitive disk image".  It worked great except of course I had to abandon my efforts and come back the next day.  Well the mount point was gone after I exited my terminal session.  The sparse image still existed. In order to remount the sparseimage I had to use the hdiutil. cd ~...

Swag your Swagger

Document your REST API with Swagger Swagger is a great tool to allow you do document your REST based APIs and provides an interactive sandbox for clients or testers to interact with the API.  Certainly go and check out what Swagger has to offer at  Swagger.io  . However as I found as of 2016, most of the examples available on the web regarding how to get Swagger up and running details what to do when you are using Spring-boot.  Therefore I'm providing my write up to assist anyone who is trying to make swagger available form a SpringMVC application.  I had a surprising level of pain getting it to work, considering the lack of details regarding specifics for this type of application. As is becoming common in my posts, I will first provide you a quick summary of the stack (tools/framework in play).  Things are constantly evolving and you will need to assess your frameworks and version versus what I used in May of 2016. Prerequisite stack: Spring-co...